An Easy Decision When the Flags are Horizontal


March 6: Now you may think this is a blog about weather and sailing. Well, only partly. True, it is too windy to even get Silver Girl out of the slip and true, the flags are flying horizontally. So,those are two of the reasons we decided to stay put today. We’ve already had to sit Sunday out in Melbourne, FL because of weather. It’s like the weather forecaster in the BVI says when he signs off: “Whether you go, or whether you stay depends on the Weather.” Sunday a front came through central Florida, high winds, rain squalls and cooler temperatures kept us in port that day.

Monday was great, a little cool with a little more wind than we like, but doable in the ICW. The forecast for today (Tuesday) was high winds with higher gusts but before we even listened to the forecast after getting Silver Girl into our slip on Monday afternoon, we had a third, more “pressing” reason for staying over a day.

As Captain and mate, Ed and I work well together ususally with good results. However, this time  Ed and I were so in sync with each other that as he removed his glasses and put them on the cockpit cushion (to remove his fleece pull-over )I pressed down with my knee on the exact same spot while tying on the stern line! Yup, I broke them. Snapped the bow right off. How these two maneuvers could have happened with such timing is amazing. But this made the decision easy. We are not going anywhere until Ed gets new glasses. The good news is, Taylor (as in Taylor Creek) Optical is within walking distance and this guy believes in customer service. He will have them ready today. While Ed gets them fitted, I will buy provisions at the store in the same shopping center. So, all is mended again but tomorrow doesn’t look good either. Not sure yet, waiting for the evening, or maybe the early morning forecast.

Right now even walking in the cabin of the boat is practice in balance-and walking the finger pier makes you understand why sailors have the reputation for drunkenness. It’s really all about the wind and the nearby Tiki bar and restaurant where one waits on the weather.

More on the way to the Bahamas,

Jan

Advertisements

About ejhowle23

Authors and adventurers, participated in the World Race 2011, an automobile rally from New York to Paris, crossing three continents and 14,000 land miles. Following much the same route as the setting for our debut novel, The Long Road to Paris. This blog describes our own adventures and challenges. And now you can follow our Bahamas sailing adventure that provides the setting for our second novel, Night Watch. Our rally, the African Safari Challenge, crossed five countries in South Africa in May 2014 and in 2015 we participated in the second Trans-American rally this time from Nova Scotia to San Francisco. Next month we will travel 28 days around Australia with friends from previous rallies. Australia is over. Now on to S. America for the Rally of the Incas.
This entry was posted in international travel and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to An Easy Decision When the Flags are Horizontal

  1. TBC says:

    Ah yes, those winds that just won’t quit! I remember my mother saying to the fierce winds on Penobscot Bay in Maine, “Stop it, stop it, stop it.” Of course the winds had a mind of their own and paid no mind to what Mum was saying, but that is part of what sailing is all about.

    So glad the specs were an easy fix, literally and figuratively!

    Hug to you both from Ussuns,

    TBC and Arnie

  2. rdsieber says:

    Got all the wind I need up here, just no boat and no water. 😦

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s