Go-No Go-Go-No Go

Jan. 29, 2015. 006This doesn’t happen very often but sometimes it’s the only thing to do. The first plan was to cross from Port Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Great Harbor at the north end of the Berry Islands. For us, this is a 9 hour run at 7 knots. The entrance to Great Harbor is a bit tricky and you need good daylight. So, got up at 5:30, checked www. Windfinder.com, and found the weather-wind and seas to be marginal for this long crossing. Made the decision to wait until Friday and went back to bed for an hour.

Now up again, checked the weather by going outside and changed our minds. But now it was 8:45 and if we left immediately AND nothing slowed us down we could still make it. So we scurried back to the boat and got off. The forecast was 15-20 knots from the NE. This would put the wind behind us and if nothing more, we could motor-sail. However, the wind was 25 knots on the nose (S) and seas 3-4 feet mostly from the SE. Not very comfortable but doable. So we decided to carry on.

After an hour, our speed had dropped to 6.3 knots, wind had increased and so had the seas. There was no way we would make our destination in 9 hours and sun set was 5:57 pm. Ed recalculated and we would not arrive until 6:25, well after sunset.

We turned around, called the marina to make sure they had a slip for us, changed our reservation at Great Harbor and were back in Lucaya by 11:45 002tied up in a slip with only one disaster. We left in such a hurry, not everything was stowed as it should be and a glass coaster few across the cabin, breaking into many pieces on the floor and setees. While underway, I swept the floor but once in port, I vacuumed everything so we do not get glass splinters in our feet from the floor or our bottoms form the seat cushions. We plan to go tomorrow. According to all reports, even the local Bahamians, the winds are to die down and the seas as well. So, we will be up again at 5:30 and plan for a first light departure of 6:45. But that’s sailing.019

Whether you go, or whether you stay depends on the weather.

Ed and Jan on Sable

About ejhowle23

Authors and adventurers, participated in the World Race 2011, an automobile rally from New York to Paris, crossing three continents and 14,000 land miles. Following much the same route as the setting for our debut novel, The Long Road to Paris. This blog describes our own adventures and challenges. And now you can follow our Bahamas sailing adventure that provides the setting for our second novel, Night Watch. Our rally, the African Safari Challenge, crossed five countries in South Africa in May 2014 and in 2015 we participated in the second Trans-American rally this time from Nova Scotia to San Francisco. Spring of 2016 we travelled 28 days around Australia with friends from previous rallies and in the fall participated in our most exhausting rally through Argentina, Chili and Peru- the Rally of the Incas. We were awarded the Against All Odds award. We're still not sure if this was for us or our car. Stewball never broke down and we hardly did. We will soon take on Iceland as a self-drive tour and in the fall of 2017 we will participate in the Odyssey Italia and then back to Africa for a do-over (almost) of the Africa Safari Challenge.
This entry was posted in Bahamas, Sailing adventures and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s