The Best and Worst Arrival

Feb. 25-March 2: This is all about our arrival into the U.S. from Bimini but to give you the proper perspective, I have to back up a bit. We spent six days in Nassau waiting on a 3 day weather window that would take us to Chub Cay, in the Berry Islands, across the Bahama Bank to Bimini and then on to Ft. Lauderdale. When it looked like we would have at least two days we decided to move on and get to Bimini so that when the wind and seas permitted we would cross the Gulf Stream.

010Now Chub is usually a great stop. Wonderful floating docks, experienced dock hands and a great restaurant. That it is, it is a great stop when they have electricity. An hour after we fueled and docked the power went out. Twice we were assured it would be back on “soon” and the restaurant had a generator so no problem there. Well, apparently the generator went out and the restaurant didn’t open. We ate dinner on board and finally went to bed in the heat because we needed to get up at 3:00 for a 4:00 am departure to get to Bimini in daylight. The power never did come back on.

Departing in the dark is always a tense experience but we were rewarded with a beautiful sunrise. 001

A chart plotter (a boat GPS) makes it  and we had a long -13 hour- easy crossing under power arriving in Bimini by 4:30 023only to find out the best restaurant in Alice Town was closed. Dinner was the most disappointing one on the entire trip and for those of you who know Ed, this is a serious problem particularly after our experience on Chub.

We intended to stay over in Bimini at least a day to recover our lack of sleep and the long crossing, but the weather forecast in the morning indicated the next day, Wednesday, Feb. 25 would be the only day we could cross for as far as the forecast went which was a week. Still not totally recovered, we were not eager to stay another week so we topped off the fuel and departed for Ft. Lauderdale at 8:00 am.

Our crossing started out even better than the forecast. 022

We did get 5 foot northerly swells in the Gulf Stream but even that subsided once we got closer to Florida but then the seas became confused. In nautical terms, this means the waves come from one direction and the wind from another. Everything gets mixed up and controlling the direction of the boat is a challenge. And we were functioning on two long days on the water and one very short night of sleep (in Chub).

Now understand, Port Everglades, know to all of us as Ft. Lauderdale, is a very active port, cruise ships, freighters, and all sizes of pleasure craft come in here. So the really demanding part started just as we approached the outer marker for the channel into Ft. Lauderdale. A very big container ship was also coming in under the guidance of a pilot 040boat. Add his wake to the already difficult seas and Ed was trying to make the 3:00 opening of the only bridge before the marina.

Needless to say, we didn’t make it so joined all the large sailboats and motor yachts standing off in the harbor waiting a ½ hour for the next opening. This is tense work making sure you don’t run into someone or someone doesn’t run into you. I don’t take the helm under these circumstances, it is all on Ed.

Then we heard over the radio that a 120 foot motor yacht was approaching the bridge under tow. He asked for an emergency opening and the bridge tender said all vessels north bound could follow him through if we “bunched up.” Imagine boats jockeying to get through the bridge-a very tense, tight situation.

Next, our turn into Pier 66 marina. We’ve been here many times, but not since they refurbished the marina and put in new docks. The person directing us to our slip assumed we knew the entrance had changed. We did not and we weren’t the only ones. The sports fishing boat ahead of us, backed up and came as close to hitting us as we have encountered. They have two engines to maneuver with we don’t and only by yelling at them, did we get their attention. Close call.

This marina is filled with very large luxury motor yachts, including Steven Speilberg’s 200029 million dollar yacht Seven Seas. Not a yacht you want to damage. (You can charter it for a mere 1.3 million per week. That includes staff, but not fuel.) It is very difficult to see around these huge yachts and we couldn’t find our slip. We turned around, headed back out to the waterway and radioed the marina for clearer instructions. When after this second attempt, we got to our slip there was a dockhand to help tie up. BUT he didn’t get the stern line and we came very close (at least it seemed that way) to hitting Brian France’s (owner and CEO of NASCAR) 107 foot yacht Finish Line docked beside us.001

I must say kudos to Ed. He handled all these situations with outward calm but later admitted how tense ( I think he’d admit to scared) he was. We were exhausted, more mentally than physically. Just one thing after another. Fortunately we had a great dinner at Grille 66 and lots of red wine. Looking over the docks on the way to dinner, we realized we were the smallest boat in the marina by far as you can see. In fact we were 034the only sailboat. Wonder why they tucked us at the far end of the marina?

One more problem remained. We clear customs and immigration with a phone call since we are registered in the Frequent Boaters program but since our last arrival into the US, Ed has a new passport and the next day we had to go to Customs (a $20.00 taxi ride) to show his passport!

We were happy to sit and recover for a few days in sunny south Florida.

Janet and Ed on Sable

About ejhowle23

Authors and adventurers, participated in the World Race 2011, an automobile rally from New York to Paris, crossing three continents and 14,000 land miles. Following much the same route as the setting for our debut novel, The Long Road to Paris. This blog describes our own adventures and challenges. And now you can follow our Bahamas sailing adventure that provides the setting for our second novel, Night Watch. Our rally, the African Safari Challenge, crossed five countries in South Africa in May 2014 and in 2015 we participated in the second Trans-American rally this time from Nova Scotia to San Francisco. Spring of 2016 we travelled 28 days around Australia with friends from previous rallies and in the fall participated in our most exhausting rally through Argentina, Chili and Peru- the Rally of the Incas. We were awarded the Against All Odds award. We're still not sure if this was for us or our car. Stewball never broke down and we hardly did. We will soon take on Iceland as a self-drive tour and in the fall of 2017 we will participate in the Odyssey Italia and then back to Africa for a do-over (almost) of the Africa Safari Challenge.
This entry was posted in international travel and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to The Best and Worst Arrival

  1. janice and chuck tomlinson says:

    You guys have grit, that ‘s for sure! We are enjoying your blog, and glad that you are safe 🙂 Janice and Chuck

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s